On the passing of my father


 
 
I am grateful for the opportunity to stand before you all today and say a few words about my father. I think that as with any relationship between two people, my perspective on him is my own and no one else's - although there may be common threads and ideas and perceptions shared among many of us today, each of us has a unique view of the kind of person he was.  However, I do sincerely hope that some of what I say here resonates with you, for that would validate my own feelings and thoughts - and ultimately, this is what binds us together into one human family - the fact that we all recognize one another's joy and suffering, that we can share our discoveries and our failures, feel elation and sorrow in consolation with one other.
I am sure that you all know a number of things about my dad's life - that he was a WWII veteran, that he was a very brilliant electronics engineer who worked on the communication systems for NATO during the inception, escalation, and through the very height of the Cold War. He invented and exploited a technique for spies to communicate stealthily over long distances - this involved detecting one of the short-lived ion-trails created by a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere, and bouncing a signal off of it from a previously-cued encoded magnetic tape played back at high-speed.  He was granted a patent as well for a ubiquitous device that we take for granted nowadays which keeps electrical impedance constant as delay is varied or induced in a signal.  You may also know that, after he retired, he was a volunteer for Hospice - a wonderful organization that made it possible for my mother to stay at her home, surrounded by family, in her last days here with us. You also probably know that he was a musician who played clarinet, piano, and organ. Or that in his spare time he repaired radios and televisions, and occasionally made some very odd devices - I think the "timing light" deserves special mention here.
He was a member of the "Greatest Generation," those folks who grew up during the depression, fought in WWII, then came home and helped build this country into the powerhouse that it is today.
Some of my earliest memories are of spending time with him in the front yard in the evenings after he came home from work.  We would sit in lawn chairs, and he would show me the constellations and talk about the stars and the universe.  Every so often, he would catch a blood-engorged mosquito or a fly or a grasshopper, and we would feed the spiders. I used to find it odd, but less so now that I have considered it further, that I ended up working in a field very similar to his, although I had no plans to pursue such a career. I credit him with sparking and nurturing the part of my mind that is fascinated with science, and I am so very grateful for him having passed that on to me.
 Something that seems be fading rapidly is the ability of folks to use their own hands.  All of us I'm sure remember that go-kart we had growing up. We used to race around our semicircular driveway and up and down our little one-way street at ridiculous speeds, often skidding into the foliage near the garage.  My dad maintained and repaired that go-kart himself, and he also did much of the work on our cars.  In addition to learning how to hold the "trouble-light" so it didn't blind or burn him ("Get the god-damn light out of my eyes!"), this gave me a genuine appreciation for working with my hands, learning how to fix things myself, and certainly added to my sense of thriftiness.  I also learned a few handy swear words which I use frequently to this day.
As with any of us, he was shaped by the environment in which he found himself.  For my part, I am strictly a person of science and have no belief in the numinous or the supernatural, but this doesn't mean I am immune or blind to the full range of human emotion and experience. The way I see the world affords me a perspective that enables me to more easily appreciate triumphs as involving not just human perseverance and creativity but also circumstance, or what we might call blind luck; it also allows me to readily understand and forgive faults because I can see how much of what we do is simply beyond our personal control.  And so it is of course this way with my dad.  Although a memorial service is typically not the setting to even mention a person's faults, I think that we do a great disservice to him, and to ourselves, if we fail to seek closure in all matters that may have been left open.  We would be lying if we were to claim that any of us has had a single relationship that didn't involve difficulty, misunderstanding, and even heartache.
My dad had his faults - but I see those faults as a part of the entirety of what made him the unique person he was.  I know that he often had a difficult time expressing feelings towards those with whom he shared close relationships - he often could seem uncaring.  What comes to mind when I think of that aspect of his personality is what he must have lived through during his, and indeed some of this country's, darkest and most anxious times; I wonder what must have preoccupied his mind during those episodes, and also what he was really feeling inside. What makes me wonder this are other things I saw him do - his volunteer work at Hospice, for example, but also one much more specific occasion that I'll mention.  When we lived in Montgomery County, some very dear friends of ours lost a son in a tragic car accident.  I remember when the news arrived, my mom was completely devastated - she had been close friends with the mother of this boy since before I was born, and they had raised their children together.  I remember my dad hugging my mom so very tenderly in that time.  I also remember him sitting by himself out in the yard, writing a very touching poem in memory of that young man. Surely a person who could sometimes seem callous yet who could also feel so very profoundly in consolation, and express that feeling, had a tremendous depth of emotion and connection.
He was reared during a time when gender-roles were rigidly and simply demarcated - "women were women, and men were men."  When I think of the novel "To Kill A Mockingbird," I am reminded of that era - Atticus Finch was portrayed as a stoic yet showed a depth of character that surprises and delights me every time I read that story.  I imagine my dad was like that also - an exterior belying, and often impeding the disclosure of, the richness that was underneath.
I am sure most of you know, and as those of you are Catholic will find neither shocking nor inappropriate, my dad was fond of Martini's. And Manhattan's.  And Ballantyne Ale (yech!). He always drank out of those spherical glasses with a very small flat-spot on the bottom, and had a particular genius for setting his glass full of booze in the most precarious, unstable locations imaginable - the apex of a round car fender-well, a half-buried rock, an exhaust manifold, the top of a tire on the vehicle he was repairing...  He drank more than he should have, and you may not know that we did an AA-style intervention with him - this was after my mom died and he had escalated his drinking to a level that was destructive.  I remember vividly participating in that intervention, and also in the follow-up sessions at the treatment center.  I think it's fair to say that we all opened up emotionally to each other as a family, and this included my dad.  He wept freely and openly, and it was plain to me how deeply he felt the pain of having hurt each of us.  He clearly felt tremendous shame and regret, and I am not afraid to admit I was very touched by that. I am sure we all were, and that is a good thing indeed.
What I see in my mind when I think of him, is a person of great intellect, but I also see someone with an under-appreciated depth of character and feeling, marked by the times of his upbringing with the stamp of stoicism and stark, repressive expectations on male behavior which impelled him to squelch outward displays of emotional vulnerability. He must have seen some truly great and terrible things firsthand in his lifetime, things which cannot possibly leave one unaffected - abject poverty during the Great Depression; the horrors of a war that killed over 55 million human beings; the rise of the Soviet Empire; the tension from constant threat of Nuclear Annihilation for most of his adult life; changes in social norms and behaviors at a staggering pace. He also had fears for his children's lives that I have thankfully not experienced - the Vietnam War, conflict in Peru and Nicaragua, the Gulf War. But he also lived during an exciting time - he saw the women's liberation movement, the civil rights revolution, the collapse of the Soviet Union, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and he was very much an integral part of another revolution that continues to touch us all - the transition from vacuum-tube electronics to solid-state devices that has fueled the technology and miniaturization revolutions.
I choose to remember him as a complicated man, a deep thinker, who I have no doubt felt intense joy, pain, sorrow, and happiness.  In other words, as a complete person, someone with shining, admirable qualities, and also someone with faults shared by all of us. For my part, I have tried to learn from his better qualities, yet also from what I have perceived as his deficits - I credit him in no small part with the clarity to see these things.  I am going to miss him, but I will continue to treasure all of the memories I carry and the lessons he helped me learn.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thank you!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment